Healthwatch Camden has added speech, reading and translation support to the website with ReachDeck Toolbar.
ReachDeck is a tool from Texthelp. It helps us to make the online content more available to everyone. The ReachDeck Toolbar offers our visitors assistive features and gives them a choice in how they access our online information.
Stephen Heard, Director of Healthwatch Camden commented on this development:
“Healthwatch Camden are pleased to have taken a big step in improving our accessibility for our website users. We want to do our best to ensure our website is welcoming to everyone. Camden has a diverse community with a variety of requirements and by installing an accessible toolbar we want to ensure we communicate and capture experiences with freedom, independence and ease.”
But, why is this important?
Globally 1 in 7 people have a disability. For many, they experience barriers when they’re on the web. For example, people with visual impairments might struggle if the information is only available in text format. And those with cognitive disabilities might find it difficult to read the information on a crowded web page. This can impact their ability to browse, buy and access online content or services. What’s more, only 1 in 10 people in need have access to assistive technology.
By adding the ReachDeck Toolbar, Healthwatch Camden are empowering users to change the format of the website content to suit their needs. The website visitors can choose to have the content read out loud. They can remove distracting content, or add a screen tint with a reading pane to help them focus. They can translate our web pages into over 100 languages. And much more!
The ReachDeck Toolbar supports web visitors to engage with the digital content. It provides them with text-to-speech, reading and translation support. Not only supporting those with disabilities but non-native speakers too.
Some of the features:
- Text-to-Speech reads on-screen text out loud with read-along highlighting
- Translation allows words to be translated into multiple languages
- Picture Dictionary displays word meaning through illustration
- MP3 maker converts online content into MP3 files for easy listening
- Screen Mask with reading pane reduces visual stress and improves focus
- Text Magnifier magnifies text and reads it out loud. This increases the accessibility of even the smallest web text
- Webpage Simplifier creates a simplified view of a webpage and removes distracting content
Notes to editors
- Healthwatch is the independent watchdog created to gather and represent the views of the public. Healthwatch plays a role at both the national and local levels to ensure that the views of people that use services are taken into account. It provides a collective voice for health and social care users in Camden.
- Healthwatch Camden has a seat on the Camden Health and Wellbeing Board and can alert Healthwatch England and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to concerns about services.
- Local Healthwatch functions and powers are set out in the Health and Social Care Act 2012. This includes the power to refer its concerns to the local Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee.
- For more information contact Namrata.email@example.com