How to complain about health services in Camden

How to complain about health services in Camden


53123884557 8157915e58 KWhen should I complain?

As soon as possible. Complaints should ideally be made within 12 months of the date of the event that you're complaining about.

Who do I complain to?

There are many different providers of healthcare in Camden. When you want to make a complaint, you normally complain directly to the place where you go to get the service, so directly to the doctor’s surgery or to the hospital. However, you can complain to the organisation that funds them instead.

Please see our Need Help section for each provider and more information.

If you are unsure how to complain directly to the provider, you can ask them to give you a copy of their complaint’s procedure. This will tell you who to contact, how they will handle your complaint, and how they will learn from your complaint.

Can I get help to make my complaint?

If you need support to make a complaint you can contact Rethink Advocacy.

  • They can provide you with an advocate; a person who will help you to complain, and make sure that you understand your options.
  • If you can self-advocate, they can provide you with the information and support you need to navigate the complaints system.

Telephone: 0300 7900 559

What if I’m unhappy with the result of my complaint?

If you are unhappy with the outcome of a complaint about any NHS provider, you can appeal to the Parliamentary and  Health Service Ombudsman.

You can only contact the Ombudsman once the organisation you complained to first have completed their response, or if it has not been sorted out after 6 months.
Telephone: 0345 015 4033

Who do I complain to about a non-NHS service?

If you would like to complain about private healthcare, or about a social care service (for example day centres, care homes, or carers who help you in your own home), then the complaints process is different.

Social care services are provided by Camden Council. Private healthcare is offered by a range of providers.

If you would like to complain about a non-NHS service (or indeed any health service) contact our information service and we will let you know how to proceed, what support is available, and who you need to contact.
Telephone: 0207 383 2402

Need some more help?

Get in touch with us. We can help guide you in this area.

Telephone: 0207 383 2402